Disclaimer: The given Class 9 Science 2018 question paper has been sourced from NBSE
Total marks : 80 || Time : 3 hours
i) Approximately 15 minutes is allotted to read the question paper and revise the answers.
ii) The question paper consists of26 questions. All questions are compulsory.
iii) Internal choice has been provided in some questions.
iv) Marks allocated to every question are indicated against it.
N.B: Check that all pages of the question paper is complete as indicated on the top left side.
1. Choose the correct answer from the given alternatives:
(a) In which state of matter, is the process of diffusion is fastest? (1)
(iv) Semi solids
(b) Which of the following is an element? (1)
(ii) Calcium carbonate
(iv) Carbon dioxide
(c) The powerhouse of a cell is (1)
(iv) golgi body
(d) Tendons are made up of (1)
(e) Distance -time graph of an object moving at a uniform speed is a (1)
(i) curved lines
(ii) straight lines
(iii) parallel lines
(iv) zig-zag line
(f) in a vacuum, all freely falling objects have the same (1)
(g) Energy possessed by running water is (1)
(i) chemical energy
(ii) kinetic energy
(iii) potential energy
(iv) heat energy
(h) The audible range for a normal human being is (1)
(i) 10 Hz to 25,000 Hz
(ii) 20 Hz to 20kHz
(iii) 10 kHz to 50 kHz
(iv) 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
(i) Which of the following disease is spread through the bite of mad dogs? (1)
(j) The percentage of nitrogen present in air is (1)
Answer the following questions in one word or one sentence:
2. Define latent heat of fusion. (1)
3. Write the distribution of electrons of the chlorine atom in the various shells. (1)
4. Name the scientist who introduced the system of scientific naming of organisms. (1)
5. What is meant by the momentum of a body? (1)
6. What is animal husbandry? (1)
Answer the following questions in about 20-30 words:
7. Give the names of the compounds represented by the following formulae (1+1=2)
8. Distinguish between monocots and dicots. (2)
9. A bus decreases its speed from 80Km/h to 60Km/h in 5 seconds. Find the acceleration of the bus. (2)
10. Mention any two uses of multiple reflections of sound. (1+1=2)
11. What is air pollution? Name any two air pollutants. (1+1=2)
Answer the following questions in about 40-60 words:
12. Why should one wear cotton clothes in summer? (3)
13. Differentiate between mixtures and compounds giving any three points. (3)
14. a. Calculate the number of molecules of sulphur (S8) present in 16g of solid sulphur. (3)
b. Calculate the number of aluminium ions present in 0.051g of aluminium oxide.
15. Draw the structure of an animal cell and label the mentioned parts
(ii) plasma membrane
(iii) golgi apparatus
(iv) mitochondrion (1+2=3)
16. Explain the basis for grouping organisms into five kingdoms. (3)
17. a. State the universal law of gravitation. Write any two important points of the universal law of gravitation. (1+2=3)
b. State Archimedes principle. Write its two applications.
18. a. What is kinetic energy? Write the expression for the kinetic energy of an object. (1+2=3)
b. Define power. Write its S.I. unit. Define average power. (1+1+1=3)
19. a. Explain how the human ear works. (3)
b. Explain how SONAR works.
20. Define acute and chronic diseases, giving one example each. (2+1=3)
21. Give a diagrammatic representation of the carbon cycle in nature. (3)
Answer the following questions in about 70-100 words:
22. a. Write three features of Rutherford’s model of an atom. Write any two limitations of Rutherford’s model of the atom. (3+2=5)
b. Differentiate between Isotopes and Isobars. Write any three applications of isotopes. (2+3=5)
23. a. Explain the structure of a neuron with the help of a labelled diagram. (3+2=5)
b. Explain the smooth and cardiac types of muscular tissues with the help of labelled diagrams.
24. a. Give reasons why
(i) dust comes out of a carpet when beaten with a stick.
(ii) luggage kept on the roof of a bus is tied with rope. (2 1/2+2 1/2=5)
b. Give reasons why
(i) the wheels of vehicles are provided with mudguards.
(ii) a cricket player lowers his hand while catching a ball.
25. Define communicable diseases. Explain four modes of spreading diseases from an infected person to an uninfected person. (1+4=5)
26. a. Differentiate between intercropping and crop rotation. Explain any three advantages of intercropping and crop rotation. (2+3=5)
b. How is manure prepared? How does it help in maintaining soil fertility? Explain the two types of manure. (1+2+2=5)