The following post contains solutions/answers to NBSE Class 10 Alternative English exercises of the grammar chapter/topic “Clauses”. Attempts have been made to provide the correct solutions to all the exercises, however, if you notice any error, let us know. We’ll review and make corrections.
A. Combine the two sentences using appropriate connectors and form complex sentences.
1. The ruins of Hampi is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is in Karnataka.
2. The area is a village located in the ancient Vijayanagara empire. It is an important religious centre even today.
3. The Vijayanagara kings were renowned for their distinctive architecture. They made Hampi their capital.
4. Hampi was laid siege to by the Deccan rulers. The kingdom was at the height of its power then.
B. Complete the following sentences with the appropriate words from the box.
|some of which||due to||in order to||where||as soon as|
1. __________________you enter the ruins, you can see a stone chariot.
2. Hampi has various places of worship, ___________________ are still in use today.
3. The state of Karnataka has worked hand in hand with the ASI _____________preserves the ruins.
4. The areas in and around Hampi, _______________there are several ruins, are also of significant importance to the ASI.
5. Some of the ancient buildings are in danger of being destroyed _____________ongoing mining activities in Hampi.
D. Complete the passage with suitable words.
Gandhiji set up Tolstoy Farm in Johannesburg1_____________ he wanted to look after the families of those Indians still in prison. Herman Kallenbach2__________ was a wealthy German bought the farm for Gandhiji. It was a thousand-acre orchard3_____________ had a small house, a spring and two wells, not far from the railway station. Gandhiji named it after Tolstoy4________________ head mired him for leading a simple life5__________ trying to bring about changes in Russia at that time.
E. Identify whether the following sentences are adverbial clauses of time (AT), adverbial clauses of manner (AM), or adverbial clauses of reason (AR).
1. The trains were delayed due to the rain. __________
2. She got a call from her aunt while she was at the concert. __________
3. As long as you complete your assignments, you can go for football practice. __________
4. Since I knew the recipe, I decided to help him with the cake. __________
5. When she returned from the hospital, she looked as if she would cry. __________
6. We will leave for Shillong as soon as the tickets are booked. __________
7. The children went to look for a park where they could practice cricket. __________
8. You can go home whenever you want. __________
F. There is an error in each sentence. Edit and rewrite the passage.
Tolstoy Farm soon became a busy colony. (1) The farm provided not only enough vegetables and also enough fruit for all to eat. (2) So the women did all the cooking, the men worked in the fields. (3) The residents of the farm belonged to different religions because they were treated as members of one big family. (4) Some were from North and South India, some like Kallenbach from Germany, some like Albert West from England, since there was really no language in common. (5) It is said which at its height, Tolstoy farm supported a community of about fifty adults and thirty children.
G. Rearrange the words to form meaningful sentences.
1. rules / made sure / followed / Gandhiji / farm/ everyone / that / the / of /the
2. physical/ todo/his /of /sandals/ share/ everyone/work/ aswellas/had/tomake/his/ learn / own
3. walked/ saveon/ miles/to/bus fare /members/ Johannesburg/ sothat /twenty-one/ could / they!
H. Complete these sentences with clauses.
1. Riku has a shoe ______________.
2. I showed her the house __________________
3. They returned on the day __________________.
4. We cannot go out ___________________.
5. ___________________his mother gave him some fruit to eat.
6. I do not know____________________________.
I. Underline the dependent clauses in the sentences.
1. He has a chain that is made of gold.
2. Mother was sure that Meribeni had broken the cup.
3. He had finished his work when it started raining.
4. We all ran into the kitchen when we heard a bang.
5. She came back early from work because she was not feeling well.
6. If Nzano decides to leave, other people will leave too.
J. Tick (✔) the correct sentences. Rewrite the incorrect ones.
1. Liyung was able to put up a brave face despite trembling with fear.
2. Adina is likely to stay in Chandigarh in order missing home.
3. Maya was cheerful although she was burdened by many problems.
4. Despite of the roads being flooded, I have to go to the station or I’ll miss my train.
5. The guard whistled in order to warn troublemakers.
K. Underline the noun clauses, adjective clauses and adverb clauses in the following passage.
Sharad felt uncomfortable. The man whom Neha was talking to looked suspicious. Sharad had seen him loitering near the housing colony where they lived, and he was sure the man was up to no good. As soon as he left, Sharad went up to Neha and asked, “Do you know the man who was talking to you a while back?” “No” she said, “But it seemed that he was interested in buying a house in the locality.’ “Well,” he said, “don’t talk to anyone just because they seem friendly.’ Neha wasn’thappy at being told off. “You don’t have to be so negative all the time” she said. “In case something goes wrong, I can always inform the police.”
L. Choose the right clause to complete the sentence.
1. I’ll always remember the teacher ________________.
a. which helped me to understand astronomy
b. that help me pass my exams
c. that helped me discover my talents
d. who give me confidence
2. We are responsible for the animals _____________.
a. that we keep as pets
b. which we keep them as Pets
c. that keep us pets
d. who kept as pets
3. The tallest of the girls who are modeling the sports clothes ______________.
a. have a round face
b. is also the most intelligent
c. are Pretty
d. look very nice
4. We must try to understand people ______________.
a. who beliefs are different from ours
b. whose beliefs are different from ours
c. whom believe differently from us
d. whom believe different things
5. The parade that we watched _________________.
a. were all very colourful
b. have many children walking with the Chief Minister
c. encourage unity
d. was telecast live
M. Complete the following sentences with adverbial clauses using the subordinating conjunctions given in brackets.
1. ___________________ they went to meet their grandmother. (after)
2. I went to the fair _________________(because)
3. ______________________she wouldn’t have fallen asleep. (had)
4. Nellie couldn’t attend the picnic _________________ (in spite of)
5. _________________it began snowing. (as soon as)
6. We didn’t meet the professor _________________ (until)
7. The students studied______________ (so…that)
8. She played the guitar _____________________(like)