Here, we’ve provided the solutions of NBSE (Nagaland Board) Class 9 English Grammar Worksheet III (three). Attempts have been made to keep the solutions error-free, however, if you find any error, let us know. We’ll review it and make corrections if needed.
Simple Past/Present/Future Tense
I. Fill in the blanks by ticking the correct form of the verbs given in the brackets.
When I ____ (is/am/was) a little boy, my mother ____ (use/is use/used) to take me to the park every evening, along with my elder sister. I ____ (loves/loved/love) the swings. In fact, I ____ (used/is used/use) to spend my entire evening there. My mother ____ (carried /carrying/carry) a basket of food and some toys as well. While my sister ____ (plays/played/play) with her friend, my mother ____ (talks/talk/talked) to me and key ____ (keep/kept/keeping) me amused.
II. Fill in the blanks by ticking the correct form of the verbs given in brackets.
Now that I ____ (he/has/having) grown up, I still (loved/loves/love) being outdoors. Now I ____ (play/amplaying/plays) football every evening. On weekends, my sister and I ____ (go/goes/going) fishing. Our dog, Champ ____ (comes/come/is coming) along. While I .____ (am fishing/is fishing/fished), my sister ____ (plays/is playing/are playing) with Champ. Champ ____ (waits/is waiting/waited) for me to catch a fish because he ____ (loves/is loving/loved) feasting on it.
III. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verbs given in brackets.
When I grow up, I ____ (be/am/is) a pilot. This job (take/taking) me to different countries. I ____ (see) places all over the globe. This ____ (give) me a chance to serve my country as well. I ____ (wear) the smart uniform that I have always liked. In addition to this, I ____ (get) a handsome salary. I know I ____ (feel) homesick sometimes but we can’t be at home all our lives.
IV. change the verbs into past simple, keeping them positive or negative.
1. He studies here.
He (studies/study) ____ here.
2. Do you go to school by bus?
(Did/do) ____ you ____ (go/went) to school by bus?
3. We don’t like filthy places.
We (didn’t/don’t) ____ (liked/like) ____ filthy places.
4. I love flying kites.
I ____ (loves/loved) flying kites.
5. I hate waiting for people.
I ____ (hated/hates) waiting for people.
6. Do you play the guitar?
____ (did/do) you ____ (play/played) the guitar?
V. Write the sentences putting the verbs into the simple future tense.
1. (I do) the homework for you?
(Shall I do?/Will I do) _____ the homework for you?
2. You (never see) your friend again.
You (will never see/will never be seeing) _____ your friend again.
3. (You be) home tomorrow.
(Will you be/could you be) _____ home tomorrow?
4. (I call) the doctor.
I (will call/would call) _____ the doctor.
5. The school (not give) preparatory holidays.
The school (will not give/will not gave) _____ preparatory holidays.
6. Don’t jump off. You (fall)
Don’t jump off. You (will fall/will fell) _____
The Present Continuous Tense
I. Put the verb in brackets in the correct form.
1. It is school reopening day once more and the children _____ their school bags. (pack)
2. It is a bright day and dad ____ a family picnic. (plan)
3. My mother _____ a sweater for my aunt’s new born baby. (knit)
4. We _____ in the Youth Festival. (participate)
5. He _____ Geography today. (revise)
6. It _____ too heavily to go out just now. (rain)
7. My mother and I _____ the house today. (spring clean)
8. Look! The thieves _____ the house. (enter)
9. My parents _____ for a trip to the Holy Land. (leave)
10. Please do not disturb me. I _____ on the computer. (work)
II. Give short answers to the following questions.
Examples: What does a driver do? – He drives.
1. Is Ali working at the moment? _____ . (he is/he are)
2. Are your friends coming? _____ . (they aren’t/they isn’t)
3. Are you watching television? _____. (I isn’t/I am not)
4. Is she reading this book? _____. (she isn’t/she aren’t)
5. Is Mary preparing for her exams? _____ (she isn’t/she is)
6. Is the lion roaring? _____ (it isn’t/it is)
III. Fill in the blanks with present indefinite tense or present continuous tense of verbs given in the brackets.
1. The classes at the University (begin/beginning) _____ at 9 o’clock.
2. The Earth (goes/going) _____ round the sun.
3. My family always (spends/is spending) _____ their holidays at the seaside.
4. I often (take/takes) _____ my dog out for a long walk but today he (walk/walks) _____ in his garden.
5. The Principal generally (make/makes) _____ makes a short speech. Today he (deliver/delivers) _____ a long lecture.
6. India (is/are) _____ a vast country. Here the people belonging to various castes and creeds (live/lives) _____ together.
IV. On behalf of your friend you come to see a house. Use your cell phone to describe the house by filling in the blanks.
I (stand/am standing) _____ standing in front of the house. It (is/are) _____ a spacious white coloured house. I (stood/am standing) _____ on the lush green grass and (looks/looking) _____ at tall trees that (are forming/ is forming/forms) _____ a boundary to the house. The shrubs on both sides of the entrance (is/are) _____ well pruned. The house (has/have) _____ a grey sloping roof which (improves/is improving) _____ the beauty of the house. The place (appears/is appearing) _____ calm and quiet. I’m sure it (is/will be) _____ a perfect place for resting away from the humdrum of city life.
V. Tick suitable question tags in the following sentences.
1. We reach home at the same time, (didn’t we/don’t we)?
2. He studies a lot for his tests, (doesn’t he/didn’t he)?
3. She understands the subjects well, (doesn’t she/didn’t she)?
4. He plays cricket very well. (doesn’t he/didn’t he)?
5. They often go for outings together, (didn’t they/don’t they)?
6. We usually have dinner at s o’clock, (don’t we/doesn’t we)?
7. She misses them a great deal, (does she/doesn’t she)?
8. Father leaves for office at 9 a.m. every day, (doesn’t he/didn’t he)?
VI. Read the excerpts from a cricket commentary. Tick the correct verb form.
1. ‘It _____ (is/are) overcast and it _____ (feels/feeling) like a good bowling morning. The play _____ (get/gets) under way at 0800 and you can bet that K.P. and Colly _____ (is/are) going to ____ (face/facing) some serious heat from South Africa first up.’
2. ‘One run off the first ball and six runs_____ (requiring/required) to win! Then another bouncing single. And finally 101-0 as Gayle _____ (hit/hits) a final six to seal the victory. It’s all over, as England _____ (is/are) demolished by 10 wickets! Stanford Superstars _____ (is/are) a million dollars richer.’
3. ‘Gayle _____ (lash/lashes) the first ball off Broad but no run. England _____ (don’t/didn’t) seem to have an answer, however. Two runs off the third ball. He _____ (take/takes) another single at the end of the 12th over.’
4. ‘Freddie to bowl, and Gayle _____ (was/is waiting). It is the second ball and Gayle _____ (makes/make) his fifty. Fletcher _____ (hit/hits) the third full toss for a single.’
Past Continuous Tense
I. Fill in the blanks choosing the correct form of the verb.
1. My brother and sister _____ (was/were) packing their school bags at 7 a.m.
2. (Was/were) _____ you in the office at 7 p.m. last night?
3. At 6.30 a.m. today I _____ (was/am) jogging in the park.
4. Why _____ (was/were) he shouting so much?
5. The sun _____ (was/were) shining bright by 8 a.m.
6. I _____ (was/were) talking to my neighbour yesterday, when I got the message.
II. Fill in the blanks using ‘when’ or ‘while’. Either can be used when the meaning is ‘during the time’.
1. _____ he was talking on the phone, I was doing my project.
2. He was packing his bags _____ I called him.
3. We were watching television _____ the lights were switched off.
4. I was washing the dishes _____ the plate broke.
5. He came _____ I was playing.
6. We let out our apartment _____ we were abroad.
III. You saw a burglar escaping. Describe the scene Io the police by ticking the correct choice of words.
Last night _____ (while/when) I had just _____ switched off my light and………. (was/were) retiring to bed, I heard a loud thud. I went to the window and _____ (see/saw) a burglar _____ (jump/jumping) out of the window. He _____ (was carrying/were carrying) a torch and a bag. Just as he landed on his feet, a dog that _____ (was lying/were lying) in wait _____ (pounced/pounce) on him.
IV. Complete a news story by filling in the correct option in the blanks.
Girl Killed In Go-Kart Crash Wasn’t In Seat Belt
Grand Junction, Colo-A 9-year-old Aurora girl who was killed in a go-kart crash on Sunday _____ (wasn’t wearing/isn’t wearing/weren’t wearing) a seat belt. Sources initially said the girl _____ (was wearing/is wearing/were wearing) a seat belt, but she later _____ (unfastened/unfasten) it. The driver was safe because he _____ (is wearing/was wearing/were wearing) _____ a safety helmet and a chest protector.
V. Make post continuous ‘yes/no’ questions: When you arrived to the party…
1. Was/were _____ the guests still _____ (arriving/arrived)?
2. Were/was _____ the dancers _____ (danced/dancing)?
3. Were/Was _____ Sue and Ann _____ (sing/singing)?
4. Were/was _____ everyone (have/having fun)?
5. Who _____ (was/were) you (talk/talking) _____ top?
6. How _____ (was/were) Linda _____ (feel/feeling)?
Vl. This is Janvi’s diary. Read it and complete the exercise below.
9 a.m. – 10 a.m. Go for morning yoga
10 a.m. – 11 a.m. Do office work
11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Do the accounts
1 p.m. – 2 p.m. Have lunch
2 p.m. – 5 p.m. Have meeting with clients
5 p.m. – 6 p.m. Talk to office staff
6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Watch television
8 p.m. – 9 p.m. Have dinner
Now, answer the following questions.
1. What was Janvi doing at 6.15 P.m.?
She _____ (was watching/were watching/is watching) television.
2. What was Janvi doing at 10.30 a.m.?
She _____ (was doing/were doing/was do office) work.
3. What was Janvi doing at 2.30 p.m.?
She _____ (was meeting/were met with/is meeting) her clients.
4. What was Janvi doing at 8.10 p.m.?
She _____ (was eating/were eating/is eating) dinner.
5. What was Janvi doing at 11.05 a.m.?
She _____ (was doing/were doing/is doing) accounts.
6. What was Janvi doing at 5.15 p.m.?
Janvi _____ (was talking/were talking/is talking) with the office staff.
VII. Put the verbs in the following sentences into the correct form of the past tense
1. When I was a child I _____ (want/wanted/was wanting) to be a teacher.
2. I _____ (cooking/was cooking/were cooking) when the phone _____ (rings/rang/was ringing).
3. He _____ (ran/is running/was running) down the road when the accident _____ (happened/were happened/is happened).
4. I _____ (have meeting/were meeting/met) Geeta at the airport. She _____ (was going/is going/were going) to Australia.
5. We _____ (was shouting/were shouting/is shouting) when you _____ (arrive/arriving/arrived).
VIII. Match the following
|We were driving to my grandmother’s||when someone picked my pocket.|
|I was shopping with my mom||when the lights went off.|
|They were eating||when the doorbell rang.|
|I was watching a horror movie||when the alarm went off.|
|I was writing an exam||when the car had a flat tyre.|
|I was talking on the cell||when the pen broke.|
IX. Fill in the blanks with the past simple or past continuous tense
1. We _____ (were watching/was watching) a horror film when the door _____ (opened/was opening).
2. Suddenly the singing _____ (was stopping/stopped).
3. The fire _____ (started/was starting) when I _____ (warmed/was warming) the milk.
4. The little boy ____ (was smiling/has smiled) because he _____ (got/had gotten) an ice cream.
5. He _____ (was happy/were happy) to get the news that he _____ (was/were selected) to captain the school cricket team.
6. (Did/was) _____ you _____ (see/seen) the film last night?
X. Form correct questions. Then complete the answers.
1. (Were/was) _____ you _____ (shout/shouting) at him? No I, _____ (weren’t/wasn’t).
2. (Were/was) _____ you _____ (talk/talking) to him? Yes I, _____ (were/was).
3. (Were/was) _____ they _____ (laughed/laughing) at him? No they _____ (weren’t/wasn’t).
4. (Were/was) _____ she _____ (taken/taking) the books? Yes she _____ (was/were).
5. (Were/was) _____ you _____ (helping/help) her with her business? No I, _____ (weren’t/wasn’t).
6. (Were/Was) _____ he (ran/running) fast? Yes he _____ (were/was).
Future continuous tense
I. Fill in the blanks using the future progressive tense correctly.
1. Do you think Sara _____ (will do/do) the same job after she has a higher educational qualification?
2. I just got a scholarship for higher education at Singapore, so _____ I (will shift/shift) shortly.
3. Because of global warming natural calamities _____ (increase/will increase) in the future.
4. I _____ (study/will study) late tonight because I have my presentation tomorrow.
II. Fill in the blanks to convey your summer vacation plans.
1. Next summer vacation I _____ (go) to Kerala.
2. We _____ (board) a flight from Delhi to Chennai.
3. We _____ (stay) in Chennai for two days.
4. We _____ then ____ (drive) to Cochin.
5. We _____ (sightsee) for a couple of days before we move on to Thrissur.
III. Fill in the blanks using the simple future or future continuous tense.
By 2021 humans _____ (live) on Mars. Joseph Palaia said his company _____ (build) the first manned headquarters for humans on Mars and it would happen within 15 years. The company _____ (use) mining technology. Humans and robots _____ (work) closely together.
Mars already has sufficient water supplies. The initial settlement _____ (include) the use of nuclear reactors, mining, manufacturing, and construction equipment, control systems, robots and automation systems and greenhouses to grow food. All this _____ (allow) human habitation in a safe environment.
Later, the scientists _____ (tackle) the issue of transporting all the necessary equipment and science in an affordable manner. ‘We _____ (share) our dream, selling the dream and engineering our dreams,’ the CEO of the company said.
Some experts, however, don’t believe humans _____ (live) on Mars. They feel that people _____ (waste) their time and resources if they carry on such experiments. But others hope that science _____ (make) their dreams become reality.
Get notes of other classes and subjects