Disclaimer: The given Class 10 Alternative English 2019 question paper has been sourced from NBSE
Total marks : 80 || Time : 3 hours
i) Approximately 15 minutes is allotted to read the question paper and revise the answers
ii) The question paper consists of 21 questions. All questions are compulsory.
iii) Internal choice has been provided in some questions.
iv) Marks allocated to every question are indicated against it.
N.B: Check that all pages of the question paper are complete as indicated on the top left side.
Unit – I (Reading)
1. Read the passage and answer the questions that follow:
A farmer in ancient China had a neighbour who was a hunter, and who owned ferocious and poorly trained hunting dogs. They jumped over the fence frequently and chased the farmer’s lambs. The farmer asked his neighbour to keep his dogs in check, but this fell on deaf ears. One day the dogs again jumped the fence, attacked and severely injured several lambs. The farmer had had enough and went to town to consult a judge who listened carefully to the story and said, ‘I could punish the hunter and instruct him to keep his dogs chained or lock them up. But you would lose a friend and gain an enemy or foe for a neighbour.’ The farmer replied that he preferred a friend. ‘Alright, I will offer you a solution that keeps your lambs safe and which will keep your neighbour a friend.’ Having heard the judge’s solution, the farmer agreed. Once at home, the farmer immediately put the judge’s suggestion to the test. He took three of his best lambs and presented them to his neighbour’s three small sons, who were beside themselves with joy and began to play with them. To protect his sons’ newly acquired play things, the hunter built a strong kennel for his dogs. Since then, the dogs never again bothered the farmer’s lambs. Out of gratitude for the farmer’s generosity towards his sons, the hunter often shared the game he had hunted with the farmer. The farmer reciprocated by sending the hunter the cheese he had made. Within a short time, the neighbours became good friends.
a. What problem did the hunter’s dog create for the farmer? (1)
b. Why did the farmer go to the judge? (1)
c. What did the hunter do to protect his sons’ newly acquired pets? (1)
d. What was the farmer’s act of generosity towards the hunter? (1)
e. How did the hunter return the generous favour of the farmer? (1)
2. Read the poem and answer the questions that follow:
Humility is the heart of beauty,
Gentleness is its touch,Kindness is the duty,
Gratefulness its urge.
Simplicity is the design of beauty,
Marvelous its arts,
Open are the hands of beauty,
Ever giving to the needy.
A comfort to the weary,
Refreshing all that’s dreary,
Sometimes it seems dainty,
But timeless is real beauty.
(Agnes Krocha Tepa)
(a) What is the heart of beauty? (1)
(b) Mention two qualities of people who have inner beauty. (2)
(c) What, according to the poet is simplicity? (1)
(d) Find the word that is synonymous with ‘poor’ in the poem. (1)
Unit – II (Writing and Applied Grammar)
3. a. Your neighbour burns trash outside and it is causing health and environmental concerns. Write a dialogue between you and your neighbour in about 150-200 words. (6)
b. Develop a story using the hints given below:
|Last Sunday, Sanen was watching television-suddenly he heard the doorbell ring-rushes out to open the door-he finds that…..|
4. Write an article in about 100-150 words on changing fashion trends to Youth Times. (6)
5. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the adjectives in the brackets: (2×1=2)
a. He is the _____ (funny) person I have ever met.
b. Planes are _____ (convenient) means of travel.
6. For each sentence in the active voice, choose the correct corresponding sentence in the passive voice: (2×1=2)
a. Will they accept our invitation?
i) By them our invitation will be accepted?
ii) Will our invitation be accepted by them?
iii) Will our invitation be accept by them?
b. They are building a house.
i) A building is being built by them.
ii) A house has been built by them.
iii) A house is being built by them
7. Underline the clauses in the sentence: (2×1=2)
a. This is the person whom I met yesterday.
b. I don’t know what she is talking about.
8. Complete the sentences as directed in the brackets: (2×1=2)
a. The train had already left _____ we got to the station. (Fill in with appropriate conjunction)
b. We are going to have a day off_____ Friday this week. (Fill in with the correct preposition)
Unit – III (Literature)
9. Choose the correct answer from the alternatives given: (10×1=10)
i. What according to Anne Frank does she lack?
b. A loving family
c. One true friend
d. A pet dog
ii. What did the boys in Lakhuni village consider as the ‘fragrance of the gods’?
a. Wild fruits
d. Vehicle exhaust
iii. What breaks forth from the heart when old words die out in the poem, ‘Closed Path’?
b. New melodies
c. New country
d. God’s will
iv. What was the secret of the young man’s character in ‘The Ambitious Guest’?
a. Downcast emotions
b. Ghastly behaviour
c. Bleak intentions
d. High and abstracted ambition
v. What gift did Anne receive from her sister Margot on her fifteenth birthday?
b. Jar of Jam
c. Gold bracelet
vi. ‘Without thee what is all the morning’swealth?’ What is ‘thee’ here in the poem, ‘To Sleep’?
c. Fresh thoughts
vii. Where did Louis Pasteur find the rabies microbe?
viii. Where is Severn’s home?
ix. On whom did Dr Barnard perform the first human heart transplant?
b. Walt Lillehei
c. Louis Washkansky
d. Denise Darvall
x. What is the People’s Peaceful resistance for was mistaken for? (Prayer of the Meek)
Answer the following questions in about 20-25 words: (5×2=10)
10. Why did the poet think he had come to the end of the voyage? (Closed path)
11. What was Anne Frank ashamed about when she read the pages of her diary?
12. What is the business of living according to Dr. Barnard? (In Celebration of Being Alive)
13. What are the soft sounds imagined by Wordsworth in his attempt to sleep? (To Sleep)
14. What are the things Anne Frank does to prepare to dance?
Answer the following questions in about 40-45 words: (5×4=20)
15. a. Why did Pasteur take the samples from the brain and the spinal cord? How did he make the vaccine against rabies? (Man against Virus) (2+2=4)
b. What is the prayer for mercy for both the sides in the poem, “Prayer of the Meek”’?
16. What did Anne Frank say about the food situation in the twenty-one months that they lived in the Secret Annex?
17. What is Monkey Mail? What did the village children do when they received the mail? (The Fragrance of the Gods) (1+3=4)
18. Read the lines and answer the questions that follow:
‘When old folks laugh, they consider the promise
Of dear painless death, and generously
Forgive life for happening
(Old Folks Laugh)
a. What makes the old people want to forgive life? (2)
b. What do the old folks think about death? (2)
19. What was the old superstition that strangely recurred to the grandmother in ‘The Ambitious Guest’? What did she want her children to do when she dies? (2+2=4)
Read the lines and answer the questions that follow:
20. ‘At school, even in kindergarten, you teach us how to behave in the world’ (Speech of Severn Suzuki)
a. What do the adults teach the children? (3)
b. In what way should the parents be able to comfort the children? (2)
21. ‘I’m sitting at the van Daan’s table with a handkerchief covering my nose and mouth.’ (The Diary of a Young Girl)
a. Who is van Daan? (1)
b. Why was Anne covering her nose and mouth with a handkerchief? (2)
c. How are the residents in the Annex affected by the arrests of their helpers? (2)