Here, we’ve provided the solutions of NBSE Class 10 English Grammar Worksheet V (five) which is about the topic Phrases and Clauses. Attempts have been made to keep the solutions error-free, however, if you find any error, let us know. We’ll review it and make corrections if needed.
A group of words that lacks a subject and/or a verb is referred to as a phrase. It does not fully express a thought. When we put the phrases together in a sentence, they make perfect sense. Eg. The earth revolves around the sun. (underlined is the phrase)
A clause is a group of words that is part of a sentence and has a subject and a finite verb. Eg. He told me to go to the market.
A clause can be either independent or dependent. Further, clauses can be classified as principal clause, subordinate clause, and coordinate clause. A principal clause (also known as the main clause or an independent clause) has a finite verb with a subject and makes complete sense. A subordinate clause, also known as a dependent clause, contains a finite verb with a subject, but it does not make sense on its own. As a result, it has no meaning by itself and only makes sense when attached to an appropriate principal clause. If there are two or more main clauses that are related, we call them coordinate clauses.
A. Underline the phrases in these sentences.
1. I filled the flask with hot coffee.
2. The little stream rushed down the mountainside.
3. I saw a programme on dinosaurs on the National Geographic Channel.
4. The chocolate cake was topped with nuts and raisins.
5. We welcomed the New Year with great joy.
B. Underline the subordinate clauses in the given sentences.
a) The house, which has a big garden in front, is Ratan’s.
b) God helps those who help themselves.
c) The train that was running late arrived five hours behind schedule.
d) The lady, who is wearing a green saree, is my aunt.
e) If you come early, we will play a few games on the computer.
C. Complete the sentences given below. One has been done for you.
a) Here is the book (which)
b) I came late (because)
c) Give me the pen (that)
d) This is the park (where)
e) The man (who)
f) I will go to Shimla (when)
g) Rita is the girl (who)
D. Identify the main clauses, subordinate clauses and coordinate clauses wherever they occur in the following sentences
1. Priya had a nice basket full of fruits.
2. I wanted to play Scrabble, but my sister was keen on playing Monopoly.
3. Debu likes music that is composed by A R Rahman.
4. The lady who is wearing a black dress is my aunt.
5. Use the washing machine carefully, as I showed you yesterday.
6. Ravi has a car but prefers to travel by bus.
7. Rinku left for Gujarat last month, and she has not returned since.
8. The boy who came yesterday was Monu’s brother.
9. The train will leave when the green signal is given.
10. Sir Bruce tried again and again till he succeeded
E. State whether the underlined word groups are dependent clauses or independent clauses
1. Although my brother is elder to me, my parents think that I am more responsible.
2. We wore our raincoats because we were sure it would rain.
3. My mother brings us gifts whenever she goes abroad.
4. After the tsunami struck, thousands of people were shifted to temporary shelters.
5. When I listened to her, I realised that she was a very thoughtful girl.
6. While I was walking in the park, I saw a strange bird.
7. The students cheered their respective teams when the game was over.
8. The Principal was irritated with the students who were misbehaving.
9. When you finish your homework, please give me your notebook.
10. I slept early as I had to board the morning flight.
11. While I was running to catch a bus, I dropped my keys.
12. Before we shifted to the new locality, my father found out all the necessary details
F. Complete the following sentences by inserting suitable clauses.
1. He raced home…………….
2. We must leave early…………
3. The girl……………….is the daughter of Principal
4. It was raining hard………..
5. Have you sent me the photographs……………..at the picnic?
6. The bakery…………..sells delicious muffins
7. We had to cross…………….. course of our adventure trek
8. The task…………..carried a huge risk.
9. I’m afraid you cannot meet the Principal now…………
10. ………………………..he drove at breakneck speed.
Get notes of other boards, classes, and subjects